[TriLUG] RT311

rob wildermann alteran at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 23:25:50 EST 2003

I used to use a 314. I had a lot of trouble getting it to port-forward
properly at first, but eventually found out that it had filtering
options that were NOT available from the webserver interface (they
weren't even mentioned!). The defaults on the filter killed/dropped the
packets before they were being forwarded.

To get to these options you need to either telnet to the router (LAN
side only, admin account and password) or use the included Win32 serial
interface program.

If this isn't enough to get you started, please let me know and I'll
see if I can track down my 314 and copy down the settings.

--rob wildermann

p.s. Please flag the above comments with an "IIRC," I haven't touched
the 314 in years.

--- Turnpike Man <turnpike420 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I own an RT311 (it is currently in a box) and used to use it instead
> of linux
> and iptables.  The RT311 was one of the first home cable/dsl routers
> out by
> NetGear.  There is nothing wrong with this product but age Jon!  ;)
>
> You CAN host a website behind it.  The instructions used to be on
> their
> website.  If not, you need to setup a port forward of port 80 to the
> internal
> IP and port 80 of your webserver.  This presumes you are using
> default port 80
> for http.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> --- Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 00:56, Dwayne Qualls wrote:
> > > I'm attempting to setup my web server behind a Netgear RT311, and
> was
> > > wondering if you could share configuration document.  I'm having
> > > difficulties understanding what menus need to be configured on
> the
> > > RT311.
> > >

> > > Dwayne Qualls
> > >
> > Hmmm, there is no RT311 listed on NetGear's site.  In any case,
> look at
> > your documentation - it will probably be described as setting up a
> DMZ.
> >
> > And next time, buy a Linksys... :-)
> >
> > HtH - Jon Carnes
> >
> > --