[TriLUG] Another Plea for Wireless Networking Help

Shea Tisdale shea at sheatisdale.com
Tue Jan 6 10:48:25 EST 2004

The problem with bridges like these is that you need one per device.  They
are basically wireless access cards with adapters to connect to the device
in question.

But you might try this.

Buy the first bridge
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=545

And try plugging a hub into it.

This is my theory.  If this was a regular wired lan, you could run a wire
from your router to the room and plug a hub into it.  The router would
supply IP address to each Ethernet device plugged into the hub just fine.
The path looks like this:
router----->wire----->hub---->wire(s)---->device(s)

So with your setup, I'm figuring that the wireless bridge is acting as the
part of the wire.  The path is this:
router----->wireless bridge---->wire---->hub---->wire(s)------>device(s)

Since the wireless bridge is acting purely as a substitute for part of the
wire and the router is supplying the IP via DHCP, I'm guessing it will
supply each devices at the end of the chain an IP address with no problem.

But, it might not.  I've never tried this.  I'm just guessing.
But since you have to buy at least one wireless bridge anyway, why not try
it.

Or you could just run a wire to downstairs somehow and plug in a hub...might
be cheaper...

shea