[TriLUG] DNS

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 12 09:55:49 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 07:33, STaylor at srspos.com wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I have two Redhat boxes at home that I am having trouble with DNS on.
>
> My Setup:
>
> Two Redhat 8 boxes. Box 1 is running named and forwarding unknowns to
> the web. Box 2 is using box 1 as it's DNS server. If I query the DNS
> server for an internet host I get a great response.
>
> 3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% loss, time 2010ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 52.540/53.349/54.090/0.662 ms
>
> However when I try to ping myself via DNS i get a response about every
> 12 seconds. (see below)
>
> 3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% loss, time 20023ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.188/0.212/0.228/0.021 ms
>
> All of my apps time out when I try to use an internal DNS name such as
> myhost.myinternaldomain.com
>
> If I use the machine IP I am fine. Why is my DNS server so slow
> responding to the query.
>
> The box running named is a P III 450 with 768 mb of RAM.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Shawn

Check the /etc/resolv.conf on your box and see if your really using your
DNS server (or if that is the first server).

If that is not the first server, then your box is using as it's primary
DNS some other Named Server which may not have your local information.

Also, what happens when you run:
  host <local host name> <ip address of local Named Server>

Does this respond immediately?  If so, then what happens if you run:
  host <local host name>

Hope that helps pin-point the problem!  Good Luck - Jon Carnes