[TriLUG] DNS

STaylor at srspos.com STaylor at srspos.com
Mon Jan 12 10:04:20 EST 2004

Okay, sorry about the message. I moved back to notes rich text format.
That should get rid of the html appendages.

I am trying to ping the other machine on my local network by name. It is
the machine that is actually running named.

When I try to resolve an internet host name I get a response immediately.
When I use dig to resolve an internal hostname I have no problem.
It comes back with the name to IP resolution in a reasonable amount of
time.
When I use dig to resolve an external hostname I have no problem.
It comes back with the name to IP resolution in a reasonable amount of
time.

However when I try to use a hostname in an application or even try to ping
catbert.cubeville.com it takes about 10 seconds to get a response and each
response after takes another 10 seconds.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn Taylor
Systech Retail Systems
Suite 200 - 5510 Six Forks rd.
Raleigh, NC 27609
1-800-232-0820 ext 127
staylor at srspos.com

                      Chris Bullock
                      <cgbullock at cox.ne        To:       Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org>
                      t>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [TriLUG] DNS
                      trilug-bounces at tr
                      ilug.org

                      01/12/2004 09:17
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Triangle Linux
                      Users Group
                      discussion list

I don't mind the html email, but others will cry about it, so I would
try to use plain-text if possible.

what are you trying to ping?  host or host.mydomain.com.  Are your host
machine looking at your DNS servers for DNS lookups?  Can you lookup
outside names?  Is named running on your server?  I think Red Hat by
default has some sort of firewall running, but I am not sure.  Also, I
do not see reverse lookups.  but first try to ping dogbert or catbert,
and then host.mydomain.com.  Also, try to use the dig command to see
what DNS server is giving you the lookups.
--chris