[TriLUG] Apache and PHP

STaylor at srspos.com STaylor at srspos.com
Mon Jan 12 10:09:56 EST 2004

Yes,

I downloaded apache from apache.org and PHP from php.net.
There are no apache rpm's installed.

The really burning question I have is why did the etc/httpd folder get
created and why did var/www get created if I chose not to install the
package.
And how do I get my machine to automatically recognize /usr/local/apache2
as the version of apache I want to use?

That way when I use apachectl I get the server in /usr/local/apache2 not
/etc/httpd

Thanks

Shawn

                      Rodent of Unusual
                      Size                     To:       Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org>
                      <Ken.Coar at Golux.C        cc:
                      om>                      Subject:  Re: [TriLUG] Apache and PHP
                      Sent by:
                      trilug-bounces at tr
                      ilug.org

                      01/12/2004 08:57
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Triangle Linux
                      Users Group
                      discussion list

STaylor at srspos.com wrote:
> I downloaded the latest versions of Apache and PHP over the weekend. I
> did a configure, make and make install on apache, then PHP.

downloaded?  i guess you mean from someplace other than red hat..?

> This created /usr/local/apache2 and usr/local/lib/php on my machine
> which I expected.
>
> However when I try apachectl start or stop I am not starting apache2.
> I am actually starting another version of apache in /etc/httpd

so try '/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start' instead.

> I am running RH8 which I installed fresh before doing the apache or php
> installs.

did you include the web server option?  because if you're going to
run with one you build yourself, you should rpm -e the ones from
red hat..
--
#ken         P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"