[TriLUG] DNS

Chris MacLeod stick at miscellaneous.net
Mon Jan 12 14:53:48 EST 2004

Kinda an odd question but are these boxes on Road Runner at home?

I didn't see anywhere in your config where you listed your forwarders.

Recently (last week I think) TW/RR changed their dns servers that they hand out to all their clients.
My dns got slow (b/c I was forwarding to servers that weren't responding anymore) and My dad's completely broke until
I went and fixed it.

Just a shot in the dark...

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 07:33:41AM -0500, STaylor at srspos.com wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I have two Redhat boxes at home that I am having trouble with DNS on.
>
> My Setup:
>
> Two Redhat 8 boxes. Box 1 is running named and forwarding unknowns to the
> web. Box 2 is using box 1 as it's DNS server. If I query the DNS server
> for an internet host I get a great response.
>
> 3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% loss, time 2010ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 52.540/53.349/54.090/0.662 ms
>
> However when I try to ping myself via DNS i get a response about every 12
> seconds. (see below)
>
> 3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% loss, time 20023ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.188/0.212/0.228/0.021 ms
>
> All of my apps time out when I try to use an internal DNS name such as
> myhost.myinternaldomain.com
>
> If I use the machine IP I am fine. Why is my DNS server so slow responding
> to the query.
>
> The box running named is a P III 450 with 768 mb of RAM.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Shawn

http://stick.miscellaneous.net