[TriLUG] slow video after reinstall

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Fri Jan 16 02:59:29 EST 2004

Dear all,

After a hard drive died, I recently reinstalled Mandrake 9.2.  I've noticed
that my video performance is lacking severely, which I first noticed by my
inability to use the "Euphoria" screen saver.  I have an Athlon XP 2600+, 768
megs ram and a Geforce-4 Ti 4200-128mb graphics card feeding a 1280x1024 LCD.
Needless to say, this little screen saver shouldn't be a problem, and wasn't
before my reinstall.  I am of course using the latest nvidia drivers, I
verified that agpgart is loaded, and I also confirmed that my XF86Config-4 is
identical to the one I was using before.

I'm looking for suggestions on what else to investigate as possible culprits
for slowing down my video performance.  Unfortunately I don't have much else
to benchmark the last setup with the current one.  The only thing that comes
to mind is that I am using a slightly updated kernel from Mandrake, but I
can't imagine the differences have anything to do with this.

Thanks for your advice,
Michael Hrivnak