[TriLUG] [Trilug-announce] January Installfest, Sat. January 24th - Wake Tech, Garner area

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 14 03:11:43 EST 2004

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 09:25 pm, you wrote:
> Okey, I spoke too soon. It looks like it's back on the 24th!
> AAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!  :)
>
> Seriously, please plan on the 24th. We'll have the final word by the end
> of the week, possibly as soon as tomorrow afternoon.
>
> We'll send a note as soon as we get the final, stamped-in-stone,
> without-a-doubt, guaranteed date.
>
> :)
>
> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 21:20, Roy Vestal wrote:
> > Howdy all. We've had a slight change in plans. There was an unknown
> > conflict with the room January 24th, so we have rescheduled for January
> > 31st.
> >
> > That's right, January 31st, NOT January 24th.  We're still on, but for
> > January 31st! (3 times repeated, hopefully we'll remember). ;)
> >
> > More details to come!
> >
> > We'll see you soon...
> >
> > On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 23:51, Roy Vestal wrote:
> > > The first TriLUG InstallFest of 2004 is going to be Saturday, January
> > > 24th. It'll be here soon!  It will be held at the Wake Tech near
> > > Garner, so all you Southeastern Wake resident Penguin lovers, you
> > > now have no excuse to skip! :)
> > >
> > > For the newbies, an InstallFest is simply a day where we get together
> > > and help each other out with Linux problems. You bring your machine,
> > > keyboards, mice, monitors, and networking are provided, and we work
> > > with you to try to install that sound card that doesn't want to work,
> > > or help add that HDD to your LVM, or simply help to get Linux
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > We will want to have folks sign up so we know what numbers we will be
> > > dealing with. An online sign up form will be posted on
> > > http://www.trilug.org soon. We request that you use this form, but it's
> > > not necessary.
> > >
> > > Also, the InstallFest is open to ALL, not just members. This is a great
> > > way to introduce your family/friends to Linux and the Linux community.
> > > Bring 'em ALL!!
> > >
> > > We'll have more info as it is compiled.

===============
If you know the room that will be used, it would be nice to have directions
to it, as there are lots of "rooms" at Wake Tech.

I have a few questions:
   1. I've recently purchased SUSE 9.0 Enterprise software for my desktop.
Are we going to offer SUSE expert installers at this installfest??
   2. My second question is this: Is it going to be possible to have two
systems installed for one person? I've got a Mandrake system that needs to be
updated as well.
   3. I have another Linux convert, but he has a problem making any Saturday
meeting because he has a small business at the fairgrounds.  He makes custom
guitars, and mandolas at a small business which is now being run by software
from the "Evil Empire".  Since he can't make the Saturday date, he wants to
know whether there is someone who could come to his shop in Cary and install
him a Linux system on a Dell computer.  He has two hard drives so it
shouldn't be difficult to let him keep what he has (Windows XP)  to run his
accounting software until he can move over to something else in Linux which
could go on the second drive.  He's willing to pay!!  I just don't feel
qualified to attempt to do what he needs. --- Al Johnson.