[TriLUG] Proposal for presentations, one to each group, different perspectives, who's up for it?

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Sun Jan 18 12:22:00 EST 2004

Hi all,

    I've seen a thread on the trilug list that talked about
authentication configuration.  I've been thinking about authentication
as well.

    For work I want to get a linux server system authenticating, login,
samba, and more? against our Windows AD, we have 2000 Windows servers
and about 20 *NIX systems, it only makes sense. Besides, the mainframers
would never expose RACF, not that it's actually secure, 8 character
passwords and all.

    For home I want to do the reverse, I have a linux system that's my
web, etc server, it's up 27x7, I'd like to have it be the central
authentication source for other Linux, and Windows systems.

    What I was thinking about is teaming up these two groups, and
getting to the point of presentations, perhaps me, perhaps someone who's
better qualified, to the groups about how you get the "foriegn system"
to authenticate against your infrastructure.  Of course this would take
a little bit of time to get set up right, then set up for presentations,
perhaps do it a few months from now?

This approach may breathe some life into tntug, as well as offer some
cross interest education for folks.

I will be happy to do what I can, but my experience with some of this is
rather limited, IE: LDAP on *NIX.  I have some computers, network gear,
etc that I would be able to loan out, if someone has a space where a few
of us could work out the config, and keep it set up as such for a week
to do the presentations.

Is anyone else interesed in working on this?

Do others think that it'd be a good exersize?

Should I just go figure it out and come back then?

Should I drop it?

What do you all think?

Kevin

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
Howard Aiken