[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Are there Really Quiet Computer Case Fans?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Sun Jan 18 17:49:55 EST 2004

On Sat January 17 2004 21:4821pm, Scott Chilcote wrote:
> My job has me working within a six feet of a dual Xeon server.  It
> has at least five noisy fans, and sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I've seen fans that produce less noise than usual. They are more
expensive than the regular fans. IIRC they aer "ball-bearing fans".

I read and have tested that 120mm fans are much quieter than the regular
80mm fans.

On a magazine (Maximum PC, IIRC) I read an article about silencing noisy
PCs. They recommended filtering the air intake and air exhaust with
thin A/C filter material. Those filters, aside from trapping dust,
help reduce the decibels. And padding the computer case with
heat-resistant material, also helps quieting the noise.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Testing Mandrake 9.2 -    Linux Machine # 38068