[TriLUG] how-to create md5 checksums & CD/DVD verification

bp bp at itchy.kicks-ass.org
Mon Jan 19 09:57:10 EST 2004

On 19 Jan 2004, Jon Carnes wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 09:20, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> > Hi All-
> >
> > I've googled this a bit, but could not find any decent references
> > (other than 'info md5') to help out.  I'd like to create md5 checksum's
> > for data iso's I'm going to create so I can 'verify' the burns were
> > successful/data = A-OK. Also, in general, is this a good way of
> > checking/verifying/validating data CDs and DVDs?
>
> md5sum <filename>
>
> It is the standard for verification, but how good it is... That's a
> debatable point.
>
> Take care - Jon Carnes

Also, you can create a file of checksums and have md5sum check every one
of them:

md5sum file1 > chksums
md5sum file2 >> chksums
md5sum file3 >> chksums

then run:

md5sum -c chksums

It will then run checksums on each file in the check-sum file and print
out an OK or error for each.  Simplifies the checking of several files.

-Barry