[TriLUG] OT: DSL for SOHO in Chapel Hill

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Jan 28 08:39:12 EST 2004

On 28 Jan 2004, Michael Thompson wrote:

> I had an interesting conversation with idiot|moron|half-wit behind the
> counter who tried to convince me that Linux was NOT evolving as quickly
> as Windows.

You know what they say about opinions.

This has, by the way, run against the prevailing attitude of said idiot's
management.  I've talked with them in the past, and they've talked in
front of TriLUG, about how they recognize the large Linux minority in
their customer base and do try very hard to make sure that 99% of the
hardware they sell in the retail outlets is Linux compatible.

> So unless you like your overpriced hardware bundled with a healthy dose
> of *bad* customer service and complete ignorance, STAY AWAY from Intrex
> in Greenville.  (And if you do, you might as well buy brand name stuff
> at Circuit City or Best Buy.)

Sounds like a problem at that one store.  The Intrex in Durham is staffed
with friendly people who may not know Linux much but they do know their
hardware.  It's been a couple of years since I shopped at the Chapel Hill
store but I've been less pleased with them.  Special order machines took
weeks to build when they should have taken a day or two to process (and
ended up having the shelf life of a grapefruit anyway).

The staff at the
Chapel Hill store, on the other hand,  was a bit less knowledgable and
even less attentive to
customers, but probably on average for a retail outlet (on par with
Circuit City or Best Buy in Durham).