[TriLUG] setting eth0 to full duplex

chris at bullocksbarn.com chris at bullocksbarn.com
Thu Jan 29 10:41:56 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 10:12:00AM -0500, spain at ncssm.edu wrote:
> I'm aware of how to manually assign a static address to aninterface,
> however, I'm getting notices that there's a duplex mismatch.. switch is set
> to 100baseT and I believe the eth0 is set to auto ( is that the setting by
> default?)
>
> How do I set the interface to full duplex or 100baseT and what syntax can I
> use.. if my ip was 192.168.1.100/24
>
> ifconfig eth0 inet addr 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up  (what would
> be the correct syntax to set the media type to 100baseT)

What I have done in the past is use the mii-tool.  You will need to do a
man mii-tool to see all the options.  the mii-tool is "supposed" to
detect your speed and duplex, but most of the time I have to do a
"mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD" notice the -F forces the connection.  First I
would do a mii-tool -r to try to reset the autonegotiation.
--chris