[TriLUG] a 'non-windows' method to upgrade BIOS/firmware?

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 30 12:24:04 EST 2004

I ended up ripping (literally) the old Dell case apart, taking out the
DVD drive, and inserting it into a new Dell system w/ WinXP on it (what
a pain).

I found this little tidbit by searching google:
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?
s=1a00354c56b7866def803cfe2d9710e6&threadid=80881&highlight=linux+firmwa
re

Quotes:

"I read the rewiew of the 411s by OC-Freak which says that it writes
anything (including -R) extremely well. He also says that firmware
before FS0F was bad."

"I had heard that earlier versions of the 411S firmware wrote to -R and
-RW discs in a strange manner. The tracs did not even look like those
produced by other burners cabable of -R and -RW."

I was using FS02, and I'm upgrading to FS0H now ... hopefully it'll do
the trick!