[TriLUG] Fedora Core 2 Test 1 (FC2t1) initial impressions

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Fri Feb 13 07:29:15 EST 2004

Target machine was a 1.1GHz Celeron, 256MB RAM, Adaptec AHA-2940UW with an
18GB IBM SCSI drive.  I already had a pretty good feel for how well
Windows 2000,  Red Hat Linux 9 and then later RHEL and its various clones
ran on it.  I was never terribly impressed with the performance of this
machine before as a desktop.

I grabbed the ISO images from the DuLUG torrent (remember, please keep
your BT client running after you get what you want to help others out).
Installation was easy.  My only nit was I didn't like how the progress bar
was moved to the bottom of the GUI in Anaconda and seems to give less
verbose information about progress.

Booting up was mostly uneventful.  I got some errors when services were
starting like trying to apply a software patch to the CPU, some
IDE-centric stuff (on a SCSI system), etc.  The sound card was detected
but the test sound was completely silent.

But these are minor issues, and to be expected from a first test release
of a distribution with a brand new major kernel version.  All things
considered, this is an excellent first attempt at a 2.6 kernel desktop OS.

Sadly, the Workstation install option does *not* include KDE.  There is
still this very Gnome-centric attitude about Fedora, likely heavily
influenced by Red Hat.  I was able to manually add KDE when I was given
the option later in anaconda to customize the package selection.

When I logged in for the first time, my jaw dropped.  This old Celeron box
was downright quick, and the login time (keep in mind this is the *first*
login, which usually take longer!) felt a lot faster than my 2.4GHz P4 at
work that is running one of the RHEL clones (and previously ran Red Hat
Linux 9).

I decided to give it a trial by fire.  I clicked on the Mozilla icon.
Surely this would give me an opportunity to go to the fridge and grab a
cold drink.  No way!  Mozilla fired right up!  And, again, this was the
*first* time I ran it which should take longer as it is creating a bunch
of files and directories on the disk to store preferences and such.

Evolution crashed with a SEGFAULT the first time I connected to my IMAP
server downstairs.  The guys in #trilug were able to point me to spot's
RPM's for a newer build of Evo (I think it was jbroome if I'm not
mistaken).  The RPM's installed ok but gave some complaints on the way.
Evo then started up alright and grabbed my mail.  I still couldn't get it
to connect to the TriLUG mail server.

Even OOo (OpenOffice.org) seemed to be a lot quicker.  This is a major
accomplishment since, IMHO, OOo was far too slow to be of any use to me in
previous releases.

This distribution is still rough around the edges, but the performance
improvements are nothing short of stunning.  If you have a spare machine
around, it's very much worth trying this out. I think you'll enjoy the new
life it can breath into slower CPU's.

--Magnus