[TriLUG] Fedora Core 2 Test 1 (FC2t1) initial impressions

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Sat Feb 14 10:00:50 EST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Ed Hill wrote:

> The downside has been some application flaky-ness.  I use the Gnome
> desktop (never have been much of a KDE fan) and got two opportunities to
> submit bugs when one of the configuration apps crashed.  Not enough to
> render things unusable but then it is clearly marked as a test release.

I'm also having problems with the RHN applet.  It never did give me an
opportunity to change the default server to pull from.  While I'm pretty
sure I could do it poking around the config files, for this to be a big
desktop winner it needs to give you an opportunity *before* pulling down
headers & updated RPM's to choose which mirror you would prefer to use.

The default server would just cause my client to stop working in
mid-download, and there doesn't seem to be any timeout safety check in
there to catch a botched download.  I left it running overnight and came
in in the morning to find it was still at the same point of downloading
the same header.

Ultimately I'm just going to manually pick a mirror of my own choosing but
these oversights are going to hurt Fedora, IMHO, in the eyes of the Linux
newb.

--Magnus