[TriLUG] Serial ATA

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Mon Feb 16 11:10:57 EST 2004

Hi, All.

I am in the process of adding a Serial ATA drive to an existing system.

I have bought the drive, the card and the cable. ( card is SIL3112 ( or
thereabouts), as mentioned in the 2.4.24 kernel )

Everything compiles correctly and the kernel installs as expected.

However, now the fun begins.

The boot starts and we get to the point where it recognizes the card and
drive, at which point it wants to treat this new, unformatted, "data"
drive, as root!

Is this "normal" and should I be adding some "command-line" parameters
during boot, or is there a "better way?"

Thanks,
Brian