[TriLUG] PoPToP VPN performance

Ryan Wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 11:36:32 EST 2004

Hey guys,

I've finally gotten my PoPToP VPN server to accept connections
correctly, and all seems to be dandy, but it is unbelievably slow.  I
couldn't get exact Mb/s times, but when I tried to copy the CentOS ISOs
(about 1.8Gb) to a file share over the VPN, it was going to take about
23 hours.  I have a cable modem at home, so i'd expect that performance
would be considerably worse for dial-up users.  I expected it to be
slower than physically being in the office, but not THAT much slower.
Is this kind of performance expected?  Is there any way to tune the
server to improve performance?

thanks,

-rtw