[TriLUG] Opteron >4GB w/RHEL 3

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Feb 16 11:41:14 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 09:12, Mark T. Voelker wrote:
> Anyone know what might be happening here?  I'm not sure whether to
> complain to the vendor that something is fishy with their hardware or
> whether this is a software issue.

Hi Mark,

Have you tried RAM from a different manufacturer?

I wish I could offer more/better advice but I wasted the better part of
two days trying to sort out vaguely similar RAM problems on a dual 240
Opteron system in our lab with an MSI 9131-v1.0 mb.  We bought 4 sticks
of 1Gb ECC Registered and, no matter what combination of slots we used,
we were unable to get the machine to POST with all 4Gb installed.
Although any single or pairs of sticks worked just fine.

If anyone else is looking at large-ish-memory Opteron systems, I'd warn
folks about the build-it-yourself option since it can be a headache
trying to sort out hw compatibility issues.

with sympathy,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com