[TriLUG] Opteron >4GB w/RHEL 3

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Mon Feb 16 13:16:13 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 09:12:18AM -0500, Mark T. Voelker wrote:
> I thought this looked like possibly bad RAM.  But when I pull out
> two--*any* two--sticks of RAM, the error message goes away.  It seems to
> be tied in to the fact that I have >4GB of memory.  According to the

Hmm... how big of a power supply do you have?  6G of memory may be
pushing it just a little too far when drives and other components are
also drawing power.  The drives not running during memtest86 might keep
the power draw just low enough.  Just a thought.

> Anyone know what might be happening here?  I'm not sure whether to
> complain to the vendor that something is fishy with their hardware or
> whether this is a software issue.

While I am in no way suggesting that you move to *BSD (especially
anything from -current in a production server), I am curious (and it may
be an interesting data point) to see how NetBSD's amd64 port handles the
system with 6GB of memory installed.  There is a bootable ISO at
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/amd64/iso/.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org