[TriLUG] Serial ATA

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Mon Feb 16 12:36:42 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:07:00PM -0500, Joseph Tate wrote:
> Brian McCullough wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 11:30:12AM -0500, Joseph Tate wrote:
> >
> >>Your new SATA drive is probably being recognized as /dev/hda and your
> >>old drive(s) have been moved to /dev/hdg or something.

If I'm reading dmesg correctly before it panics, it is hdc.

> >I guess what's confusing me is that the kernel is coming from the
> >"original" boot drive, but during the start-up sequence the order seems
> >to change.
>
> Two different subsystems: grub boots the kernel from it's own mapping
> (referenced in /boot/grub/grub.conf as (hd0,0) or similar).  This
> addressing is different from kernel /dev/hdX mapping.  The problem is
> your root=/dev/hda1 line in grub.conf.  hda1 to the kernel is different
> than hd0,0 is to grub.  Why?  Probably because the MBR is on the same
> drive, so it doesn't get screwed up by bios drive letter displacement.

Of course!

> However, you should be able to just fix your bios configurations (Main
> and SATA) and not have to worry about this.  If bios tweaking doesn't
> seem to be solving the problem, check for newer bios versions, and
> failing that, make the changes I described above.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to find any adjustments to be made.  This
machine is running an Award BIOS, and neither it nor the SATA card seem
to have any place to choose drive order, other than CDROM/Floppy/Hard
Disk.

I'll let you all know how things go.  I guess I'll try the Lilo.conf
route next.

Brian