[TriLUG] Serial ATA

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 16 13:49:37 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 12:36, Brian McCullough wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:07:00PM -0500, Joseph Tate wrote:
> > Brian McCullough wrote:

> If I'm reading dmesg correctly before it panics, it is hdc.
>

> > >I guess what's confusing me is that the kernel is coming from the
> > >"original" boot drive, but during the start-up sequence the order seems
> > >to change.
> >
> > Two different subsystems: grub boots the kernel from it's own mapping
> > (referenced in /boot/grub/grub.conf as (hd0,0) or similar).  This
> > addressing is different from kernel /dev/hdX mapping.  The problem is
> > your root=/dev/hda1 line in grub.conf.  hda1 to the kernel is different
> > than hd0,0 is to grub.  Why?  Probably because the MBR is on the same
> > drive, so it doesn't get screwed up by bios drive letter displacement.
>
> Of course!

I've had to do this before with installations on secondary drives.  It
loads the kernel, but panics when root isn't where it thinks it is.  If
you just want to get it going, change the root=/dev/hd?? kernel line
option to whatever your old hard drive & partition is now called.

--
Timothy A. Chagnon <tchagnon at nc.rr.com>