[TriLUG] Serial ATA

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Mon Feb 16 13:54:41 EST 2004

Timothy A. Chagnon wrote:

> I've had to do this before with installations on secondary drives.  It
> loads the kernel, but panics when root isn't where it thinks it is.  If
> you just want to get it going, change the root=/dev/hd?? kernel line
> option to whatever your old hard drive & partition is now called.

That probably will not work totally, unless you have only a single
partition.  I.e. /home /boot, etc won't be mounted if they're on
separate drives.

Booting into single user mode (using the corrected root=/dev/hdc1 kernel
line) will allow you to hopefully edit /etc/fstab to reflect the new
drive devices.  After that, editing lilo.conf and running lilo, you
should be able to boot without modifications.