[TriLUG] LAN/WAN interface question

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Tue Feb 17 10:34:53 EST 2004

>>Sounds like you talked yourself out of the appliance  :-)  Maybe I'm
>>reading it the wrong way.

<SNIP>

> There is an argument here for "simple tools that do only one thing, but
> do it well."

I use an old compaq desktop as my firewall, iirc it was around $40 used,
got a few $15 NICs, "Absolute OpenBSD" book and installed OpenBSD.  For
the price, you can't beat it.  If you want a multi function router, BSD
supports VPN, DHCP, DNS, Snort, or whatever you might want to run on
such a device.  Most importantly, 1 remote hole in 7 years (in the
default install) is a better track record than any other firewall that
I've heard of...

just $.02  :)

--mike