[TriLUG] LAN/WAN interface question

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Feb 17 11:11:32 EST 2004

John Franklin wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 11:42:49PM -0500, Mike M wrote:
>
>>>* http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AR8Z1/ & click
>>>"Customer Reviews"
>>
>>Sounds like you talked yourself out of the appliance  :-)  Maybe I'm
>>reading it the wrong way.
>

> I've talked myself into being very cautious.  Belkin is right out.  The
> http hijack is unacceptable.  Period.  That particular Linksys is out,
> and until I read many good reviews, all Linksys products are suspect.
> I'm seriously considering the Netgear unit, but I'm looking to get more
> reviews first.

I'm pretty happy with my belkin 54g router/wap/switch.  The http hijack
is easily disabled, in fact, I disabled when I was configuring it for
the first time, and never saw a single hijack.  I had some initial
problems getting bridging to work, and then getting port 80 forwarded to
the internal network (why the default configuration port is on port 80
is beyond me), but those were configuration issues due to poor
documentation.  It's been working great for 3 months now.  It supposedly
integrates with a radius server if you've got one set up.  It's also one
of the first consumer units to suport WPA in addition to WEP encryption.

Joseph
Dispelling some FUD