[TriLUG] LAN/WAN interface question

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 17 11:17:13 EST 2004

I built my own firewall/router box using a CL6000 mini-itx board. This
is one of VIA's new boards and comes with two onboard NICs. It is also
a  fanless board, so it's very quiet. I put it in a very small mini-itx
case. What I ended up with was a machine not much bigger than an
appliance running linux. It is quiet, uses a 60W DC power supply, is
about the size of a closed laptop and runs a full blown OS.
The only downside is that the NICs don't use a driver that's included
with the kernel. VIA supplies the source and some scripts that make it
real easy to create the needed modules.
I have been very pleased with this set up.

Ken

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 22:49, John Franklin wrote:
<SNIP>

> The advantages:
> 	One electrical outlet instead of three (switch, wireless AP, *nix box
> 	Lower power draw
> 	Less real estate consumption
> 	Quieter
> 	Easier to set up VPN tunnels
>
> Downsides:
> 	Interfaces are often lacking.
> 	Must port forward any inbound port you want to serve
> 	Don't have complete control of the box
> 	The more functionality they pack in, the higher the chance they
> botched something.

<SNIP AGAIN>
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt