[TriLUG] SCP file create mode

Brian A. Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Wed Feb 18 02:16:30 EST 2004

Hi y'all,
  This is a simple question at which you more seasoned types will probably
roll your eyes and mutter "RTFM," but here it is anyway.

The scenario:  I and a friend are collaborating on some files stored on my
linux box.  I access them via SMB, as the machine is on my local net.  He
accesses them via an SCP client.

The problem:  Whenever he overwrites a file, its mode gets set to 0644,
or -rw-r--r--.  I have the group sticky bit set for the directory, but I
think all that ensures is proper group ownership rather than proper group
permissions.

The question:  How do I change the default create mode for an SCP session so
that the files have group write permissions?  I'm sure this is probably
really simple, but at the moment it eludes me.  Actually, come to think of
it, that would apply to new directories he might create as well..  I would
want them to default to drwxrwsr-x if possible.

Thankya kindly!

Cheers,
~Brian