[TriLUG] Trouble sending mail to RR addresses

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 18 00:40:26 EST 2004

Peter,

The problem you were seeing was because RR, along with numerous ISPs and
corporations, has adopted a policy of not accepting incoming mail from
servers with dynamic IP addresses.  This policy is aimed at reducing the
spam and virus loads on our mail servers.  Basically, there are hundreds of
thousands of zombied or trojaned hosts out there, not to mention open relays
set up by inexperienced mail server administrators, that are used by
spammers and virus writers to propagate their particular form of abusive
email.  It's not a step that anyone likes taking, but the fact is that
without it, the inbound mail hosts that serve so many people would be
effectively unable to keep up at all with the demands upon them.

That explanation aside, your best bet is to configure your mail server to
'smarthost' all of your outbound email through the RR outbound email
servers.  If you get blocked from those, well, then I'd be double checking
your machine as a potential open relay.  If you have never tested it as
such, try this site:

http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

Good luck!

Regards,
Ben Pitzer
"Your friendly neighborhood RR systems engineer"

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--