[TriLUG] Linux / Solaris Position

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Feb 18 10:29:03 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Mike M wrote:

> On the other hand we might be looking at salary deflation in the
> US and Europe.  See sig below.  I think it's a pretty good salary
> myself.  I predict that next year this job will be going for $40k-$45k,
> and the year after that..., well you get the idea.  I'd love to be
> proven wrong.

I think there is a pendulum that is swinging.  In the last decade, the
pendulum was on the side of the IT worker.  We could command high salaries
and unusual job perks.  A few years back the pendulum went quickly in the
other direction, favoring employers.

Conditions have improved a little since then, but I don't really see
things going back to the good ol' days.

I think the pendulum will swing less wildly with each cycle, until it
nearly reaches equilibrium, with changes being almost insignificant.

This doesn't take into account the growing trend of offshoring.  We're
already feeling the effects of this.  It remains to be seen whether
offshoring will lose its lustre in practice or if this will change our
profession for a much longer duration.