[TriLUG] xxx.xxx.xx received a message withincorrectaurthorization code

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Feb 18 14:05:52 EST 2004

[top posting corrected]

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 12:18, Ralph Blach wrote:
> Jon Carnes wrote:
> >
> > What version of IMAPd are your running?  Is it UW-IMAPd?
>
> Jon,
>
> No its the imapd that comes with redhat 9.0.

Assuming you are talking about Red Hat Linux 9, (there never was a
redhat 9.0), the IMAP server that comes with it *is* indeed UW-IMAP.
You can verify that by running "rpm -qi imap" , you will see that the
software comes from the following URL :  http://www.washington.edu/imap/
(washington.edu is the University of Washington, or UW.)

> Ok I solved the certification problem buy making pem files.
> I now have a different question
> I do I have different certificates for different users and
> how do I allow only users with those certificates to attach.
>
> Ie, I would send the cefication on floppy disk, the user would install
> it and then would use it to get his mail.

I've never done client certificates with UW-IMAP so I don't know if it's
even possible or how to do it.  Are you able to get regular password
authentication working first before trying to move to client
certificates?

If you are willing to try something a little different, I have some
basic instructions here on setting up dovecot, and postfix with SMTP
authentication, here.  These instructions assume a certain amount of
sysadmin know-how already though.
	http://www.trilug.org/~jeremy/mail-notes.txt

Regards,
Jeremy Portzer