[TriLUG] SCP file create mode

Brian A. Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Wed Feb 18 17:17:36 EST 2004

> Have you checked other places that the umask could be set?  How about
> the following files :
> 	~/.bashrc
> 	~/.bash_profile
	- These two don't exist for his user.

> 	/etc/profile.d/*.sh
	- None of those mention umask or prompt

> 	/etc/profile
	Also no mention of umask here.

I added an echo at the end of /etc/bashrc just to say the script had
completed.  It is echoed for my user, but not for his.  I think that cinches
the possibility that /etc/bashrc is simply not being processed for his user.
Why might that be?

Okay, additional development: I created a .bashrc in his home folder.  It's
not getting processed either.

The only environment differences (as evidenced by diffing the output of set
for both users) are the expected username/uid/maildir things, and the
PROMPT_COMMAND and PS[124] variables (affected by his user's failure to
process /etc/bashrc).

I know that one can launch bash with --noprofile and --norc, the latter of
which is on by default if bash is invoked with /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash.
That's not the case, however; his shell is set to /bin/bash just like mine.

I've tried logging in as many of the other users on this system, and they
all process /etc/bashrc properly; only this one particular user does not.

His line in /etc/passwd matches the form of all the other interactive users.

Further investigation reveals that /etc/profile *is* processed for this
user, but there's nothing in there that looks like it would prevent
/etc/bashrc from being processed.

Deleting and recreating his user shouldn't be the answer, should it?

Continued thanks,
~Brian