[TriLUG] Re: Offshoring (was: Linux / Solaris Position)

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 19 01:47:03 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 01:46:04PM -0500, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Mike M wrote:
>

> >I think it would be unwise to wait for the return of the good-old days.
> >I once thought I'd nestle into telephony until I retired.  Now I wonder
> >what I'll be doing next year at this time.  I'm not as bored as I used
> >to be.
>
> Taking some welding or auto-mechanics classes seems like a good bet.
> You pretty much have to be physically present to replace a fuel-injector
> or weld a steel beam as part of a bridge or skyscraper.
>
> No joke.. I'm at Wake Tech now working on a Computer Programming degree
> and a High Performance Computing degree, and I'm not convinced that all
> IT industry jobs in the U.S. will disappear completely... but don't
> think I haven't given some serious thought to scheduling a few welding
> classes while I'm out there.. I did two years of it in High School and
> while it's not how I'd prefer to make my living, it's better than
> unemployment.

I'd do diesel mechanics.  I used to work in a steel mill fixing fork
lifts, bulldozers, and cranes. You're bang on.
--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com