[TriLUG] Linux / Solaris Position (OT Alert)

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 14:37:56 EST 2004

Magnus Hedemark wrote:
> I think there is a pendulum that is swinging.  In the last decade, the
> pendulum was on the side of the IT worker.  We could command high salaries
> and unusual job perks.  A few years back the pendulum went quickly in the
> other direction, favoring employers.
>
> Conditions have improved a little since then, but I don't really see
> things going back to the good ol' days.

The part that bothers me is that a lot of the positions I'm seeing are
providing compensation at or below what significantly less skilled
employment provides.

I have seen software development positions that require a BS/MS degree
(engineering preferred) plus six or more years of industry experience
offering at or below $50K per year in recent months.

Compare this to the salary of the manager of a medium sized specialty
store, a certified electrician, HVAC tech, or nearly any medical
position requiring an AAS degree and a bit of experience.  The salaries
all occupy the same band.

Why go through the trouble to learn how to compute eigenvectors,
convolve wave functions, develop microcode, resolve bus timing
conflicts, and compare pipelining strategies if you can make more money
driving a semi?  The hours are about the same, and the scenery changes
more often.

I know a number of engineers who have been patiently waiting it out, to
see if US industries will want them back.  Some have begun transitioning
to new career fields.  Some died-in-the-wool types continue to take
classes and keep up on developments, not wanting to waste their
credentials...  But for how long?

I hope that US corporations get over the hit they took during the dot
com crash and decide not to tar all non-medical technologies with the
same brush.  Other countries are filling in the void they've left.
While there's no law that says we need to be a technological leader, it
has been a big part of this nation's image for decades.

--
Scott C.