[TriLUG] Linux / Solaris Position (OT Alert)

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Feb 18 15:16:28 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Scott Chilcote wrote:

> Why go through the trouble to learn how to compute eigenvectors,
> convolve wave functions, develop microcode, resolve bus timing
> conflicts, and compare pipelining strategies if you can make more money
> driving a semi?  The hours are about the same, and the scenery changes
> more often.

I was asking myself a lot of questions like this a couple of years back
when BOPS was going down the toilet, and almost the whole IT dept went
down with the first flush (myself included).  I ended up sticking my toe
in a couple of different fields and not really being satisfied with any of
them.  For better or for worse, I love the work I do and have spent too
many years getting really good at it.

But that hasn't stopped me.  Yes, I'm employed now.  No, I'm not making
what a guy with 10 years of sysadmin experience should be making.  I like
most of the people I'm working with, I'm still learning a lot every day at
my job, and the satisfaction that goes with these things keeps me in a
position that I don't think is compensating me fairly.  That and the fact
that the rest of the employers in the area are applying the same poor
standards these days.

I think if the pendulum does swing the other way again, a lot of employers
are in for a wakeup call when they find they have a hard time retaining
people.

While all this is going on, I've been buying books, tools, and learning
new skills.  Not enough to have me become a master carpenter or plumber
or anything like that, but hopefully enough to give me something to fall
back on if things get worse before they get better.

There is another very dangerous path ahead of us that the people in power
aren't seeing.  We've moved our industries to foreign soils to save a buck
or two.  We moved our IT smarts abroad, too.  We're increasingly seeing
other professional jobs being offshored, including our doctors, our
accountants, and more.  One day, some smart young Indian or Phillipino is
going to say "What do we need this Board of Directors in the US for?  We
have everything we need here!"  And before you know it, Pinnochio is going
to find a cheaper offshore replacement for Gepetto.  You never know, it
might already be happening.

We may yet see in our lifetime the quality of life in the US drop to meet
that of our neighbors to the south.