[TriLUG] Linux / Solaris Position (OT Alert)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 15:29:07 EST 2004

Magnus Hedemark wrote:

>  For better or for worse, I love the work I do and have spent too
> many years getting really good at it.

Same here.  I don't want to give up working in IT, unless I'm forced too.

>  One day, some smart young Indian or Phillipino is
> going to say "What do we need this Board of Directors in the US for?  We
> have everything we need here!"  And before you know it, Pinnochio is going
> to find a cheaper offshore replacement for Gepetto.  You never know, it
> might already be happening.

I'm pretty sure it is.  Read the latest Slashdot / Newsforge piece
where Roblimo interviews a bunch of folks in India.  There's a quote in
there somewhere to the effect of "everybody I know is starting, or
talking about starting, their own company."

> We may yet see in our lifetime the quality of life in the US drop to meet
> that of our neighbors to the south.

Indeed.  The question is, can it be stopped? The proponents of
globalization (which I admittedly once was) would say that the
respective standards of living between the Western world and the
developing nations will eventually converge and then rise together
in harmony forevermore, and everybody will live happily ever after.

Another point of view is that there aren't enough natural resources
on the planet for every person in the world to enjoy the lifestyle
of your typical American or European resident....

TTYL,

Phil R.

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org