dev resurgence (was Re: [TriLUG] simple regular expression to strip HTML?)

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 10:21:46 EST 2004

<SNIP>
> // -*- c-mode -*-
>
> at the beginning or end of every file.

<VENT>
If you're going to that, please for the love of God, make it:
/* -*- c-mode -*-  */

I'm working on a project right now porting an application from one
platform to another. There are some modules written in C and some
written in C++. However, the target platform's compiler is very strict
and doesn't handle the '//' comment style in 'C' files.

And since I'm venting, if you're writing code and comparing a variable
to a character, use 'a' not 0x61. You never know if you'll have to
compile using a different character set. Yes, I'm porting from an ASCII
machine to an EBCDIC machine. Chasing down those is something to drive
someone to drink. Okay, drink more.
</VENT>

I feel better. Back to our regularly schedule flame war.

Ken

> Cheers,
> Tanner
> --
> Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
> lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt