[TriLUG] Fedora Core 2 Test 1 (FC2t1) initial impressions

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Sat Feb 21 09:55:07 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 07:29, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
> Target machine was a 1.1GHz Celeron, 256MB RAM, Adaptec AHA-2940UW with an
> 18GB IBM SCSI drive.  I already had a pretty good feel for how well
> Windows 2000,  Red Hat Linux 9 and then later RHEL and its various clones
> ran on it.  I was never terribly impressed with the performance of this
> machine before as a desktop.
>
> I grabbed the ISO images from the DuLUG torrent (remember, please keep
> your BT client running after you get what you want to help others out).
> Installation was easy.  My only nit was I didn't like how the progress bar
> was moved to the bottom of the GUI in Anaconda and seems to give less
> verbose information about progress.
>
> Booting up was mostly uneventful.  I got some errors when services were
> starting like trying to apply a software patch to the CPU, some
> IDE-centric stuff (on a SCSI system), etc.  The sound card was detected
> but the test sound was completely silent.
>
> But these are minor issues, and to be expected from a first test release
> of a distribution with a brand new major kernel version.  All things
> considered, this is an excellent first attempt at a 2.6 kernel desktop OS.
>
> Sadly, the Workstation install option does *not* include KDE.  There is
> still this very Gnome-centric attitude about Fedora, likely heavily
> influenced by Red Hat.  I was able to manually add KDE when I was given
> the option later in anaconda to customize the package selection.

It should be possible to install KDE with the installer.  There is a
screen in anaconda that shows the default list of package groups:
Desktop (GNOME)
Office Suite (OpenOffice)
Web browser (Mozilla)
etc.

At the bottom of that screen there are two radio buttons:
(X) Accept the current package list
( ) Customize the set of packages to install

If you select the second button and click next, you'll get a package
selection screen that allows you to de-select Gnome and pick KDE.

But yes, I agree that the new kernel is much snappier for desktop use.

Cheers,
   Brent

--
Brent Fox <bfox at linuxheadquarters.com>