[TriLUG] Vector graphics tool for Linux?

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Sun Feb 22 20:30:45 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 08:37:21AM -0500, Steven Hilton wrote:
> Inkscape: http://www.inkscape.org/

I use this one on and off for SVG creation (course examples), and it's
coming along nicely. Unfortunately my compile of Amaya 8.2 doesn't
include GtkGL support, and I don't get to see the nice alpha
transparency that Inkscape can create for both vector and bitmap
objects.

> - EPS export?

Never tried. In fact, it doesn't appear to be an option. You can export
to png bitmaps, however. So far I've only saved as .xml. Caveat: you
have to Import the file you [just] saved, not Open.

> - Stability?

Quite stable for being this early. Hasn't crashed on me yet, but I doubt
I've been pushing it very hard.

> - Missing features you wish you had?

Probably. Sorry, not a very good answer I know. :)

> - Usability or intuitive interface?

Well it certainly makes more sense to be able to Open a file one [just]
saved...

> - Glaring bugs?

Plenty. Then again, Inkscape's still in its infancy...

...and not meant as a replacement for Illustrator by any stretch of the
imagination.

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc