[TriLUG] XP and Samba

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sat Feb 21 21:23:39 EST 2004

To add to Jason's suggestion, create a username map with a user(i.e.
smbuser) that has access to the share ONLY. chown someuser(NOT
root):smbuser. Then set it chmod 775.

In the smb.conf:

In the [Globals] add:

username map = /path/to/username.map
map to guest = bad user
security = server (as per Jason)

In the [Share] add:
write list = smbuser
guest ok = yes
read only = no (as per Jason)

Next, create the username.map file and add the line:

smbuser = guest
Finally, restart the smb service

This will secure your box from most of the samba hacks but still allow
read/write access to the share.

The biggest rule with Samba, keep the smb.conf file as simple as
possible. K.I.S.S. is the best rule.

HTH