[TriLUG] shell discussion

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 23 16:30:01 EST 2004

I'd kind of agree with Brian's first post.  I think limiting this to Bash is
probably enough.  Bash is pretty complex as shells go, and while learning
about Korn, C, tcsh, zsh, etc is all well and good, for the sake of time and
actually being able to get something out of it, I would suggest sticking to
Bash the first time.  If somebody wants to do another presentation sometime
about another shell, they can feel free to put one together, but a night of
a thousand shells sounds overwhelming, time consuming, and couldn't possibly
leave enough time for getting into the fun parts of each shell.  Bash should
make for a good 20-30 minute program, including questions and answers, that
allows everybody to get home to their families, pets, dorms, or kernel
compilations at a reasonable hour, and will leave us all fairly well
informed about the intricacies of the default Linux shell (in most distros).
I'd be happy to sit through a discussion of zsh another night, if somebody
wants to do it, and can make a decent presentation out of it.

Just my $0.02.  All flames will be killfiled.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--