[TriLUG] up2date (Current server) issue

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Feb 23 21:05:52 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 10:12, John Franklin wrote:
> I've been trying to use the TriLUG up2date server, but seem to be having
> a problem with it.  The system I'm on is a RHL9 system, I've installed
> the up2date config file and TRILUG-CA-CERT as directed by the TriLUG
> Members FAQ, but here's what I'm seeing:
>
> [root at artie rhn]# up2date --nox
> There was an SSL error: [('SSL routines', 'SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE',
> 'certificate verify failed')]
> A common cause of this error is the system time being incorrect. Verify
> that the time on this system is correct.
> [root at artie rhn]# date
> Mon Feb 23 10:10:52 EST 2004
>
> I'm thinking it's because the TRILUG-CA-CERT is out of date:
>
>         Validity
>             Not Before: Nov 11 04:27:32 2002 GMT
>             Not After : Nov 11 04:27:32 2003 GMT
>
> Is there an updated one?

Oops.

I don't know that anyone is really maintaining the Current ("up2date")
server right now, which is why this wasn't noticed earlier.  There are
several reasons for this:

1)  For Fedora Core, up2date now supports apt or yum 'backends' which
make replaces the XMLRPC server-side system (RHN or Current)

2)  Red Hat Linux 7.x and 8.0 are now end-of-life, so there is no reason
to run a Current server anyway for those platforms (there are no new
updates, except for fedoralegacy.org, but that's another story)

3)  Red Hat Linux 9 is the sole platform for which TriLUG's Current
server would still be useful, but it will be EOL on April 30th.  Many
RHL 9 users use apt or yum (available from freshrpms.net or
www.fedora.us) as they tend to be faster, less crash-prone, and much
easier to set up than up2date.

Note: maintenance and development on Current itself has slowed quite a
bit recently for similar reasons.  Current may still have a use for
certain deployments of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, where customers have
bought many RHEL licenses but don't want to pay for the additional Proxy
server or Satellite Server to dish out updates.  But this doesn't apply
to TriLUG, unless we wanted to consider putting CentOS or WBEL on our
mirrors and setting up Current for that.  Again, I think apt or yum
makes more sense.

Let me know if you have any questions.  If there is anyone out here
using the Current server at TriLUG, please let me know, otherwise we may
consider just removing the info from the FAQ altogether.

Regards,
Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |