[TriLUG] begging for SCSI help

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Tue Feb 24 15:00:59 EST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Ed Hill wrote:

>  2) The Dell box is currently running Red Hat 7.3 but she would
>     like to upgrade to either Red Hat 9 or RHEL v3 WS.  Can anyone
>     make any comments about differences in RAID support on either
>     version?

I can't speak to your specific scenario, but I've found RHEL 3 to have
incrementally better hardware support than RHL 9.  RHEL 3 hardware support
seems to be closer to Fedora Core 1 quality.  Case in point: my broadcom
chipset Gigabit ethernet does not work at all in RHL 9 but works like a
champ in RHEL 3 (or a reasonable facsimile thereof).

I have a bunch of these HP/Compaq d530u desktops out there running Red Hat
Linux 9 where I've had
to install a Realtek-based ethernet card to get the box on the network.
As I upgrade these to CentOS (the RHEL clone I alluded to) I remove the
Realtek card and move the patch cable over to the build-in broadcom
gigabit ethernet adapter.