[TriLUG] Stupid question time - Serial terminal and Linux

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 18:54:06 EST 2004

Actually, I know it's possible with a little kernel futzing and lilo.
Check out your /usr/src/linux-2.?/Documentation/serial-console.txt file
from the kernel source.

Specifically it says you can use the kernel boot line option
console=ttyS0,9600 to get /dev/console to the serial port.  That's just
kernel info though.

It also mentions something about lilo being able to take serial input.
Then setting the right things for getty to use the serial port for a
login.

Also in theory, if the box your installing on supports PXE booting, you
could set it to try to boot PXE before hard disk then run pxelinux on
your server, specifying kernel options to do serial through that.

For that matter, if it'll pxe boot, you don't need serial.  Just use a
kickstart file and nfs install source and you've got a auto install.
Once it's installed you can ssh.  I've recently done this with a lab at
Wake Tech so I know the way to set it up right.  If you go this route
and need help, email me.

The people who would really know lots about this are the guys that built
the Space Simulator cluster at LANL.  All their nodes have no removable
media drives, no keyboards/mice/monitor, just NIC.  They use pxelinux to
do reinstalls so they should know something about it.  The first pdf
paper on their site documents well their exploits about the cluster, and
is a good read, but probably won't have the exact info on doing serial
stuff.  You could try emailing them to get some of their more specific
methods.
http://space-simulator.lanl.gov/

--
Timothy A. Chagnon <tchagnon at nc.rr.com>