[TriLUG] Stupid question time - Serial terminal and Linux

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 11:09:19 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 06:54:06PM -0500, Timothy A. Chagnon wrote:
> Actually, I know it's possible with a little kernel futzing and lilo.
> Check out your /usr/src/linux-2.?/Documentation/serial-console.txt file
> from the kernel source.
>
> Specifically it says you can use the kernel boot line option
> console=ttyS0,9600 to get /dev/console to the serial port.  That's just
> kernel info though.

console= is a parm to lilo - yes?

> It also mentions something about lilo being able to take serial input.
> Then setting the right things for getty to use the serial port for a
> login.

see above

The problem with x86 loading over serial is that you have to modify
so many things during the process.  LILO over serial one part.  You
may also need have to have BIOS control to specify the boot media. Then
syslinux or pxelinux needs to talk over COM1. Each and every time
control is transferred to another program in the loading/booting/init
process, modifications are necessary to talk over COMx instead of
VGA/kbd.

http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php#whatis

> The people who would really know lots about this are the guys that built
> the Space Simulator cluster at LANL.  All their nodes have no removable
> media drives, no keyboards/mice/monitor, just NIC.  They use pxelinux to
> do reinstalls so they should know something about it.  The first pdf
> paper on their site documents well their exploits about the cluster, and
> is a good read, but probably won't have the exact info on doing serial
> stuff.  You could try emailing them to get some of their more specific
> methods.
> http://space-simulator.lanl.gov/

This is for using a network for sourcing load files and automating the
load process. Debian has the not-well-used FAI:
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

This may be insufficient if the automated loading script is making the
wrong choices and the user needs to intervene in the loading process.

--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com