[TriLUG] Stupid question time - Serial terminal and Linux

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 23:45:41 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:06:07PM -0500, Kevin Flanagan wrote:

> That would be me, I have an Sparc Ultra1, with CD and Floppy, but no Sun
> ~  video, keyboard, or mouse.
>
> I got this system with 64MB of RAM, and it sat idle, the other day I got
> 128MB for $14, couldn't pass.  Now it's fairly useful, and I'm looking
> to do something useful with it.  ;')
>
> I'm currently debating what distro to install, most aren't very current
> unless you go over to one of the BSD varieties.  Suggestions?

No-brainer. Debian-sparc.  I've got an Ultra5 doing my file serving
and CVS. I had the kbd/mouse and generic monitor.  I didn't do the
serial install though.  I suppose any old ANSI tty  emulator will work.
I use minicom on Linux.  The HyperTerm thingy on windows should work
too.

I downloaded the first .iso and used the net to complete the load. No
futzing with NIC modules on sparc platforms, they are all covered
and they all work.  Must be the "netowrk is the computer" thing at
work.

--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com