[TriLUG] Debian on Dell

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 26 10:34:30 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 11:44:27PM -0500, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> I'm not sure of the best way to go about putting together a machine from
> Dell which has good general Linux support as opposed to Red Hat support.

If it's a desktop, it'll work.  If it's a laptop...don't get me started
:).  Actually I've read that Dell's laptops had some Linux problems in
the past.

Google on "dell linux problems".

Check this  out: http://linux.dell.com/

I just loaded Debian stable on a Dell.  It's not as easy as the RH8
loader in text mode.  You'll have to know cfdisk (not that hard) and
the type of NIC (probably some kind of 3Com).

I've assembled boxes from the absolute cheapest parts I could find
and Debian and RH8 always load on them.  Dell machines are definitely
a cut above the boxes I've built.

Order with confidence.  You'll get it working.

--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com