[TriLUG] redhat 2.1 chown problem

rasch at raschnet.com rasch at raschnet.com
Thu Mar 18 12:50:10 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:47:01AM -0500, Marvin Blackburn <mblackburn at glenraven.com> wrote:
> I have a directory
> 775 /u01/app/oracle/jomarmgr/jcust/users with jomarmgr:jomarmgr ownership.
> a file exists in directory FILEA with with 644 jomarmgr:jomarmgr ownership.
>
> I try to change ownership from jomarmgr to perltest
> I get "Operation not permitted".
>
> It turns out that it appears that root is the only user allowed to change
> ownerships.
>
> I have tried putting the perltest user in the jomarmgr group and the
> jomarmgr user in
> the perl test group and reboot -- but this still doesnt work.

I believe that as a user you can only chown a file to you if you own the
directory which contains it.  You cannot chown a file to another user.
So, the procedure would be to move it to a directory owned by the new
user, and have them chown it to themself.  The user will have to either
be in the group which owns the file and has rw rights, or everyone must
have rw rights to the file.

David