[TriLUG] Redhat 9 on Cyrix?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Mar 19 12:01:03 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 10:33, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> The problem is finding a set of images which will work.
>
> I neglected to mention that I had ALREADY tried to do a network
> install.  Originally the machine I'm trying to use had no CD-ROM drive,
> so I put the three iso images (the downloaded disc1 from ibiblio, and
> images from the two original discs 2 and 3 onto my working linux machine
> and exported them via NFS. Again everything seemed to be going well
> until the install machine complained about a corrupted source disk.
>
> And yes, I'd carefully created the image files, using a shell script
> which used isoinfo to get the blocksize and block count from the discs
> and fed those to dd to make sure I got everything. I then checked the
> md5sums of the discs and the isofiles and everything looked copacetic.

This is odd... I'm wondering if you have some problem with your CD-ROM
drive.  I recommend trying a network install from the Internet using the
boot.iso method that Jason suggested.  (boot.iso is only a few megabytes
so hopefully your CD-ROM will be able to read that okay.)

Also, any particular reason you are running Red Hat 9?  That's kinda old
and will be end-of-lifed at the end of this month.  If you want to stay
with the Red Hat line, you really should use Fedora Core 1 or one of the
RHEL 3 knock-offs (CentOS for example).

--Jeremy