[TriLUG] Iptables help

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 24 09:39:58 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 09:26, Greg Kuhn wrote:
> Its not a homework assignment. The instructor doesn't use linux and doesn't have the first clue about iptables, I'm trying to get the answer for him and the rest of the class.

Heh, I can vouch for Herb's (Instructor) lack of knowledge in anything
but theory.

I don't know about forwarding well enough to give you the full run down,
but you want to look in the direction of using the FORWARD chain in your
Filter table, or maybe using the NAT table.  There's also a setting in
the kernel to turn on forwarding.  For a one time deal, it can be turned
on by doing "echo 1>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward".  The man pages are
pretty comprehensive, that's probably where you'll have to dig around.

-Tim
--
Timothy A. Chagnon <tchagnon at nc.rr.com>