[TriLUG] Iptables help

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Mar 24 12:49:59 EST 2004

Okay, I'll give the original question a shot.  Feel free to correct me
if I flub something, I'm going to type this out mostly from memory.

First, a brief network description is in order...
"Internal"-ish network
Box1 | eth0 | 10.0.0.2 | eth0 -> Box2's eth0
Box2 | eth0 | 10.0.0.1 | eth0 -> Box1's eth0

"External"-ish network
Box2 | eth1 |  4.3.2.2 | eth1 -> Box3's eth0
Box3 | eth0 |  4.3.2.1 | eth0 -> Box2's eth1

To setup what you describe, first, you'll need to ensure all 3 machines
can ping each other:
1) Ensure Box1 can ping 10.0.0.1
2) Ensure Box2 can ping 10.0.0.2 and 4.3.2.1
3) Ensure Box3 can ping 4.3.2.2

Next, if this setup is not quite so simplified (if Box2 and Box3 aren't
on the same physical network), you'll need to ensure that Box2 has a
default gateway.  This is sort of implied by Step 3 of the previous
statement, but I'm making it explicit in case you ignored my ping steps
and brazenly continued.  :p
Box2# ip route show dev eth1
4.3.2.0/24  proto kernel   scope link  src 4.3.2.2
default via x.x.x.x (some machine that can route to 4.3.2.1)

Then you'll need to configure Box2 to do three things:
1) Route packets between interfaces
2) Log the packets you want it to
3) Masquerade packets from eth0 to eth1

----- Sample configuration session on Box2 -----
Box2# whoami
root
Box2# echo 1> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
Box2# iptables -A INPUT -p icmp -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j LOG
Box2# iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i eth0 -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
----- End sample session -----

You should then be able to ping Box3 from Box1, and Box2 will masquerade
the packets, and log them to syslog.  Note: a malicious user could then
do a relatively light ping flood and possibly bring that box to it's
knees (depending on it's hardware, as logging is a lot more intensive
than just masquerading), so you should explore the --limit options for
the LOG target before getting this anywhere near a production setup.

Potential gotcha's: If things don't go as you expect, ensure that:
- the iptables default rules are all set to ACCEPT.
- do you actually have routes for each of the interfaces?
   (ala: 'ip route show dev eth0' on Box0 should return something like...
    10.0.0.0/24  scope link
- Your testing method of "is it getting a ping" is valid...
- All of the original ping tests _really_ work...

That should be enough to get the basics across.  If your instructor
can't get it working from that description, I hate to say it, but they
need to find a new instructor.  This is truly basic stuff - heck I've
been doing masquerading since the mid 90s when it was just two or three
machines sharing a dialup connection.  16yr olds figure it out every day
from google.

I hope this all turns out to be helpful, for this much typing.  :p
Maybe someone on Google will benefit from it one of these days.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner